The two winners of the Topped for a Year booklet and one skein of Berroco Comfort giveaway are:
Natalie Servant who said, "Wow - there's enough adorableness in there to keep me busy for a while & to make prepping for a baby shower that much more fun."
And, April who wrote, "Oh my goodness! I LOVE the dinosuar hat! I have 5 nieces with 2 more on the way... I would love to make them in pink, yellow, & purple! What a cute picture that would be!! ROAR!"
Congratulations, ladies! Please shoot me an email at email@example.com with your info to claim your prize.
For those of you who didn't win, Linsay over at mommieof4munchkins is doing another great raffle raising money for her Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk and she is offering two winners a chance to win the Topped for a Year booklet and a skein of yarn!
This week on YOTH, I have Barbara Barry with The Knit Kit here to visit us. If you haven't seen these little suckers at your LYS or online, you have to check them out! The Knit Kit is about the size of your hand and includes all the eight essential knitting tools that every knitter needs. Barbara was nice enough to join us this week and answer a short interview I sent her. Get to know the woman behind the innovative Knit Kit...
1. Barbara, why don't you start by telling us a little about yourself and what the Knit Kit is?
I have always been an entrepreneur. I was a bilingual teacher, owned preschools in California, owned a fine dining restaurant in Sun Valley, Idaho, was a real estate broker in Naples, Florida, was a yoga teacher and now I am an inventor.
The Knit Kit is a compact device that houses all the eight essential knitting accessories including a row counter, thread cutter, double ended crochet hook, tape measure, point protectors, stitch markers, darning needle and TSA compliant collapsible scissors. I have been coined in the industry as the "Swiss Army Knife for Knitters".
2. How did you come up with the Knit Kit idea? Was there a specific event or project that inspired you?
Three years ago I was a brand new knitter and as I learned my knit teacher would continue to have me buy accessories like a crochet hook, row counter, stitch markers, etc. I was constantly losing these things at the bottom of my knit bag especially the crochet hook. I went online to find something that had all these things together thinking for sure someone had created this. They hadn't. It was the "ah-ha" moment of every entrepreneur's life. So I drew my idea on a napkin and brought all the individual accessories to a prototype maker in LA and the process began.
3. Your Knit Kit was recently featured on the Martha Stewart show. Tell us a little about that experience.
That was an experience! Her set is the most beautiful television set I have ever seen. I would love love love to have the kitchen on that set. Everyone always asks me what she was like. Totally expecting me to say she was a B...... But she was exactly as she appears to me on television. Not nice not mean she just is very straight forward.
4. What is it really like to run your own business? Are the day to day tasks more than what you expected?
Since I have had many of my own businesses I knew what to expect. You are absolutely married to your work and it is always on the forefront of my mind and thinking every day and every hour. But I absolutely love the knitting industry and being creative so I couldn't be any happier than doing what I am doing.
5. What will be next for you? Are there any upgrades or new products in the works?
There are many many things in the works. The first is the release of our first Holiday Knit Kit which will be red and available in November. We are knitting and creating patterns for The Knit Kit Kase which will hold The Knit Kit. Those will be online shortly. Knit Kit 2011 which will have an added feature of a needle gauge on the back. We are also in the prototype phase of The Quilt Kit which will be released at the October Quilt Show in Houston, and the development of The Scrap Book Kit. So we are super busy.
6. Why do you knit?
I knit to relax, be creative and make cool stuff to wear.
7. What is your current knitting fantasy?
Dolce and Gabbana knitted reindeer suit. I live in snow country and am dying to get it knitted for me. Trisha Malcolm from Vogue Knitting told me if I got the yarn she could get it made for me. Here is a pic of the suit:
8. If you could live and knit anywhere in the world, where would you knit and live?
If I could knit and live anywhere it would probably be Italy. I love it there and they have the greatest food and fashion.
9. What's your worst knitting disaster?
I was a really aggressive new knitter and my second project after a scarf was to try and knit a 3/4 length alpaca sweater coat. It had holes everywhere. Was five times my size and shed on everything. I tried using a dryer to shrink it, the freezer to stop the shedding and the trash can to get rid of it. It took me six wasted months to make!!
10. And last but not least, if you were to be drinking a cocktail while reading my blog, what would it be?
I would be drinking at glass of Flowers Chardonnay.
Barbara also sent me a picture of her cool bedazzled Knit Kit.
This week Barbara is sponsoring TWO lucky winners a chance to win a Knit Kit. Thank you, Barbara, for doing the interview and sponsoring the giveaway. These Knit Kits will be a wonderful addition to any knitter's arsenal of tools!
I would like you to do the following if you would like to be entered into this week's giveaway:
1) Have an address in the US to ship the yarn to. If you have a friend or relative that has a US mailing address who is willing to be your shipping sponsor, that will work as well. I will send it to them and they can then forward it on to you.
2) Post a comment on this blog post by the end of Sunday, 5/9/2010, telling us what tool is most essential to you while you are knitting. Of course, we know you need knitting needles! But, what else do you tend to reach for the most?
3) Please post only one comment to give everyone a fair chance.
Again, I'll randomly pick the winners on Sunday and post the results on Monday along with the new giveaway, so be sure to check back. Good luck everyone.