12.04.2011

miss snow

I've put together a charming little free pattern for this holiday season. A small treat from me to you! It's a perfect small project to use up some scrap yarn that I know you have laying around. I hope you like it.


miss snow

misssnowblog



Yarn: Cascade Yarns Cloud 9 (50% Wool, 50% Angora), Aran weight
Color: 110 Snow Dream
Yardage Needed: approximately 75 yds + scraps for accessories
Needle size: US 5/3.75mm DPN's (set of 4) + US 1/2.5mm needles of any kind for miniature scarf (optional)
Gauge: 24 sts and 28 rows per 4" in stockinette stitch (unblocked)
Materials Needed: Scissors, tape measure/ruler, yarn needle, stitch markers, and a small amount of filling material (I used polyester fiber fill).
Optional Materials (for decorating): Embroidery floss (in color[s] of choice), 4 vintage mismatched buttons (2 small & 2 slightly bigger for the layering effect), small amount of scrap lace or fingering weight yarn for the mini scarf, about 18" of approximately 1" wide lace ribbon, ribbon (size/type of choice) for hanging loop if you choose to not knit the i-cord (see instructions below), two small black beads for eyes, and a carrot nose if desired (I used this nose for mine: Darice Carrot Nose).


Abbreviations:

CO - cast on
DPN - double-pointed needles
k - knit
p - purl
k2tog - knit 2 stitches together
M1L - make one left, with left needle lift strand between stitches from the front, knit through the back loop
kfb - knit in the front and back of the same stitch
st(s) - stitche(s)
rnd(s) - round(s)
rpt - repeat


Pattern:


CO 9 sts. Distribute 3 sts each onto 3 of your DPN's and join in the round being careful not to twist your work. Place a marker at the beginning of rnd.


Increase Rnds for bottom snowball:

Rnd 1: k

Rnd 2: (k1, M1L, knit to the last st on needle, M1L, k1) rpt to end of rnd (15 sts total)

Rpt rnds 1 and 2 until you have increased to a total of 45 sts (15 sts per needle). Place a stitch marker on row below and k every rnd until the body measures 1" from this marker.


Decrease Rnds for bottom snowball:

Rnd 1: (k3, k2tog) to end of rnd (36 sts total)

Rnd 2: (k2, k2tog) to end of rnd (27 sts total)

Rnd 3: (k1, k2tog) to end of rnd (18 sts total)

Rnd 4: K2tog to end of rnd (9 sts total)

Check to make sure that the 9 sts are evenly distributed (3 sts per needle).


Increase Rnds for middle snowball:

Rnd 1: (k1, M1L, knit to the last st on needle, M1L, k1) rpt to end of rnd (15 sts total)

Rpt Rnd 1 until you have increased to a total of 39 sts (13 sts per needle). Place a stitch marker on row below and k every rnd until the body of middle snowball measures 1" from this marker.


Decrease Rnds for middle snowball:

Rnd 1: (k1, k2tog) to end of rnd (26 sts total)

Rnd 2: K2tog to end of rnd (13 sts total)

Rnd 3: (k1, k2tog) to last st, k1 (9 sts total)

Check to make sure that the 9 sts are evenly distributed (3 sts per needle).


Increase Rnds for top snowball:

Rnd 1: (k1, M1L, knit to the last st on needle, M1L, k1) rpt to end of rnd (15 sts total)

Rpt Rnd 1 until you have increased to a total of 33 sts (11 sts per needle). Place a stitch marker on row below and k every rnd until the body of top snowball measures 3/4" from this marker.

At this point you will want to stop and cinch up your bottom cast on stitches using your yarn needle and the tail end from your CO. Secure the yarn end and pull to the inside of the snowman. Then stuff the two bottom snowballs to your liking. Continue knitting.


Decrease Rnds for top snowball:

Rnd 1: k to last 2 sts, k2tog (32 sts total)

Rnd 2: (k2, k2tog) to end of rnd (24 sts total)

Rnd 3: knit

Rnd 4: (k1, k2tog) to end of rnd (16 sts total)

Rnd 5: knit

Rnd 6: K2tog to end of rnd (8 sts total)


Now you can finish stuffing your snowman. Once he/she is stuffed to the firmness that you desire, work one of the following options:

Option 1: Cut working yarn and thread through remaining stitches to close up the top. Secure the yarn end and pull to the inside of the snowman. Then tie a pretty ribbon of choice at the top of the head to create the hanging loop.

Option 2: k2tog to end of rnd (4 sts total). Place remaining sts onto one needle and work i-cord for desired length (I suggest 4-5" or so). Bind off final sts and secure the end to the top of the head to create a knitted hanging loop.


Yay! You now have a cute blank canvas snowman or snow-woman that you can decorate to your little heart's content!

I knit a darling miniature (lengthwise!) garter stitch scarf for mine using lace yarn from my scraps. I CO 75 sts, knit for 10 rows, bound off, and then added fringe on the ends to give it a softer touch.

I also used small vintage buttons in varying sizes (approximately 10-15mm) that I layered on top of eachother and sewed onto the middle snowball (belly) using colorful embroidery thread.

To create the sweet ruffled skirt, I took an 18" piece of 1 1/4" wide lace ribbon and threaded a piece of scrap yarn through the top edge of one of the sides using a straight stitch. Then cinched the skirt up into pretty little ruffles and tied it onto my miss snow.

I glued my perfect carrot nose into place using E6000 (the glue I use for all my crafts when I want a permanent bond).

I embroidered small little cross stitches for the mouth. I won't go into how to embroider the crosses, because I am by no means an expert and I sort of winged it myself. And, last but not least, I used two small seed beads for the eyes. You could either stitch these into place or glue them on.


Hope you enjoy making your own precious snow ball people! They make wonderful gifts, but beware because they are so cute that you might want to keep all of them for yourself. Happy Holidays!


Sincerely,

Ve


P.S. I have not had this free pattern test knit or edited, so please be so kind to send me an email (yarnonthehouse@gmail.com) if you find any errors or have any questions.

P.P.S. I would love to see your finished miss snows! You can find the Ravelry pattern here. Post your projects and pics!

19 comments:

Jen said...

Oooooo....she's cute!!

Jen said...

Oh my gosh, how cute! I love the fuzz from the angora!

Maryse said...

So cute! I love all the little details!

affiknity said...

That is so cute. Thanks for writing up the pattern and sharing it with us.

LochKnitsMonster said...

It's adorable. Thank you.

mommieof4munchkins said...

She is just adorable!! I hope to knit one up for myself soon :D

Phyllis said...

I love it! I'm going to make one for my friend who collects snowmen. Do you have any other nose suggestions for those of us who can't get a ready-made carrot?

Zenitude said...

That's just too cute! I am casting on tonight for sure...lots of time to make a few at least.
Thanks so much for the pattern.
Rav: zenitude

Amy J said...

So kind...thank you!

Amy J said...

So kind...thank you!

Sara said...

Oh, she is so cute! Thank you for sharing your first pattern with me...

I plan to make her - maybe for my daughter and best friend for next Christmas...

Anonymous said...

Hi Ve, I love it! It is so cute. Congratulations to your very own pattern!!! Pavla

Geraldine said...

She is adorable! Thank you so much for your generosity!

meppybn said...

Too darling - added to my queue !

Eva said...

Really cute. Thanks for sharing the pattern :)

deebriese said...

Wow this is so adorable. You are very talented! Thank you so much for sharing.

Jane said...

I can't wait to make one! So cute!

marie said...

I saw this sweet snow lady on Pinterest. She is adorable. I don't know how to knit but I might try to make something similar out of felted sweaters. I love her!!
Thanks for sharing her!

reda said...

Lovely Website, Maintain the fantastic work. Thank you so much!

https://www.roknelbeet.com/نقل-اثاث-بجدة/
https://www.roknelbeet.com/نقل-اثاث-بالدمام/
https://www.roknelbeet.com/نقل-اثاث-بمكة/
https://www.roknelbeet.com/تخزين-اثاث-بالرياض/