12.28.2012

11th day of Knitmas

We're coming to the end of our 12 days! It's been really fun to post on the blog on a daily basis and share these lovely patterns and yarns with you. Today we have my favorite design out of the six being shared.

Meet Olana Shawl:

olanashawl1

I have a special place in my knitting heart for color work shawls. This shawl especially catches my eye, because of the striping and the high contrast textured edging with a bit of lacey YO's thrown in. It's a symphony of beauty!

olanashawl2


Here's what Grace has to say:

Olana Shawl

Finished Measurements
Wingspan: 47.5” Depth: 41”

Materials:
Size 3 U.S. (3.25 mm) 32” – 36” circular needles
Two locking stitch markers

Yarn:
MC- 1 hank Madelinetosh Sock (100% superwash merino wool, 395 yards), shown in Port.
CC1- 1 hank Alisha Goes Around Tracks of Bison (90% superwash merino wool, 10% bison, 370 yards), shown in
Oyster.
CC2- 1 hank Rohrspatz Wollmeise Superwash Wool (100% superwash wool, 574 yards), shown in Mint.
You will need approximately 170 yards of MC, 165 yards CC1, and 80 yards CC2

Gauge:
22 sts and 44 rows = 4” in garter stitch alternating from MC to CC1 every two rows, make sure to block your
swatch. If your gauge is looser you will have a bigger shawl.

I can't quite remember the minute I had the inspiration to knit this up... for me it was all about color... and it all started with the Tracks of Bison. This was a pattern knit up 100% from stash yarn. I played around with color combinations for over an hour until I came up with the final three colors I wanted to use. I looked at those colors and knew they had to be together. Then I swatched for TWO DAYS!!! Playing around with stitches, and cables and slipping and intarsia... but when it came down to it, it looked best in simple garter stripes. The colors just danced together on my needles and when their number was over I was left with the Olana Shawl!

Remember that to be in the running for a winning PDF copy of today's pattern feature, you need to enter the 100th giveaway here (the comments for this post have been disabled). Follow the instructions at the bottom of that post to enter. I'll be back tomorrow with our final surprise to share!

Happy Friday!

-Ve