3.19.2010

jasmine's French Press Slipper(s)



Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! It is a beautiful day here in the greater Seattle area and the birdies were out singing in all their harmony this morning. This past week I have been working hard and knitting whenever I have a free moment. Above is a cute little picture to show you one of the French Press Slippers that I have made (the other is still drying). I knitted the smallest size and hand felted the devil outta it (yes, with my bare hands)! Alright, I actually didn't do most of the felting - my husband did, but I was there to supervise. And, WHA-LA! We have adorable, little, pink slippers. They were really quick to knit up (honestly, only a couple hours), but then I took my sweet time getting the felting done.

The charming little ceramic buttons that I have next to them in the photo are buttons that I was thinking I might use to sew the straps on with, but I'm wondering whether ceramic is a good idea for slippers and especially slippers that will belong to my eight year old?? None the less, the buttons are cute and I couldn't resist putting them in the picture. These buttons are from Jenn at Landenroad or you can visit her on Etsy here. She and I met on Ravelry a few months ago and I traded some of my sock yarn for some of her lovely buttons. Now, I need to just find the perfect item to put them on.

12 comments:

Kim Mears said...

Those are adorable. I love the buttons, but I agree they are probably not the best for a child! Fantastic job!

colleen said...

Oh I absolutely love these!! the colour is beautiful! it reminds me of all the pretty blossoming trees in the spring

Heather said...

I love them! Super cute and wonderful for an 8-year-old.

I love those buttons, especially the green ones. Maybe to reduce the potential for breakage, you could put one button in the middle of the strap instead of one on either side.

Or, you could find plastic/wooden buttons. Wooden buttons with fairies would look really wonderful.

French Press Knits said...

Looks great- I *love* all those buttons!

Laura said...

They are lovely! I'm glad you have a minion to hand felt for you. When I tried to hand felt my slippers, I discovered that when one hand-felts excessively, it can draw blood. It made for a good story at knit night.

Turtle said...

they look adorable, love the color you chose. I knit some of these up for holiday gifts and they are a fun simple knit! thanks for the button link, i have been on a button quest!

katerina said...

The slippers look great - I've heard they're pretty easy and fast to make!

What a sweet idea for an 8 yr old! I'm sure she'll love them!

Unknown said...

I love Jenn's buttons. They're all so unique! I've heard people ask her about the buttons and she says she's even put them through the washer (in a garment bag). I've seen the buttons fall and not break, so I'm thinking they're pretty sturdy.

Dayna said...

I love the color of those slippers! The buttons are really sweet too. Too cute!

Jenn Doll said...

Thanks for the shout out! I love the slippers too! This is such a sweet pattern! Keep in touch! I will have to follow this wonderful blog! :)

Hi! I'm Sierra-Dog! said...

How cute are those? SO cute! I LUV the color. Perfect for a girly girl. Great job!

Anne said...

We have some of Jenn's pendants (which are the same thickness as the buttons I have) and my toddler has done all sorts of things with her necklace and the clay and glaze have held up wonderfully.

Put them on at your own risk, of course, but you might be surprised by how well they hold up! I'd say the biggest risk would be chipping, if they might knock against ceramic tile flooring?