12.22.2012

5th day of Knitmas

The weekend is here and Christmas is right around the corner. I'm one for getting my gift shopping done far in advance and on the internet to beat the crowds during this season. I like to spend my extra time knitting! Some folks enjoy the decorations, traditions, and the whole experience of shopping during these days. I get it. It's just not for me. I enjoy spending my holiday days off at home and visiting friends and family. Today I was lucky enough to have the house all to myself. I picked up a couple of movies, cuddled up in my couch corner and worked on Grace's Crashing Waves pattern. I'm through the stockinette body and ready to start the lace now. I'll share it here when I'm finished!

Now, onto what you're really here for! Today's pattern showcase…

Meet Walt's Tangled Cables:

waltstangledcables2

This scarf is right up my alley - minimalist and modern with it's asymmetrical cabling. I love the look! I also love that it's knit in a 1x1 ribbing, which makes the scarf reversible. The pictures show a lady wearing this scarf, but I really think this scarf is quite unisex and could be worn by a guy too. It's knit up in worsted weight and I'm sure it just flies off the needles. I may just need to knit one of these for hubby. He's been asking for a scarf for years now!

waltstangledcables


Grace's description...

Sizes:
One size

Finished Measurements:
Width: Approx. 6”
Length: Approx. 100”

Materials:
Size 6 U.S. (4mm) needles
Cable needle

Yarn:
6 hanks of Shibui Merino Alpaca (50% baby alpaca, 50% merino, 131 yards per 100g skein), shown in color #2004 Ivory.

Gauge:
30 sts and 24 rows = 4” in 1x1 rib pattern.

Gauge is not too important in this pattern, what matters more is that you like the gauge of the fabric you create. If you feel your fabric is too open then go down in needle size. If you feel your fabric is too dense then go up in needle size.

This is a scarf that I originally knit up as a gift for my uncle Walter.... but I didn't give it to him (yet), because I liked the pattern so much I decided to publish it. Once I knit up another sample it's all his! That's the reason this scarf is so long- because my uncle Walt is so tall.... I wanted to knit him something special and unique... and REVERSIBLE! Who doesn't love a reversible scarf?! This is what I came up with. I hope you like it- it's a blast to knit!

Remember that to be in the running for a winning PDF copy of today's pattern feature, you need to enter the 100th giveaway here (the comments for this post have been disabled). Follow the instructions at the bottom of that post to enter. I'll be back tomorrow with yarn for this scarf to share!

Have a great weekend!

-Ve